BERBERE SPICE MIX
1 teaspoon whole clove
½ teaspoon allspice
½ tablespoon cardamom
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon fenugreek
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon onion salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoons red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
Takes 5 minutes. Makes 5½ tablespoons.
Grind whole clove. Mix spices together in bowl with fork. This recipes makes about a cup of Berbere spice mix.
1) In Roman times, cinnamon cost about twelve times as much as silver.
2) Boy, the Romans must have loved their cinnamon on toast.
3) Texas Toast is a thicker type of toast.
4) It’s a good thing the Romans never conquered Texas and the rest of America because I would hate to blow the family budget on expensive cinnamon on Texas Toast every morning.
– Paul De Lancey, The Comic Chef, Ph.D.
My cookbook, Following Good Food Around the World, with its 180 wonderful recipes, my newest novel, Do Lutheran Hunks Eat Mushrooms, a hilarious apocalyptic thriller, and all my other books, are available on amazon.com.