A previous post detailed all the obstacles that were in my way of getting puff pastry.
I set out the next morning grimly determined to succeed.
1) Disdaining all fears of falling off the edge of the edge, I drove farther west than before.
2) Smart and Final (Don’t you think that’s an ominous name for a store?) wasn’t carrying puff pastry.
3) I then went North Park Produce. (They carry all sorts of produce and many Middle Eastern items.) They had many packets of puff pastry. They even had French puff pastry!
4) Huzzah! Huzzah! I felt vindicated and more than a little proud of myself for my grit and persistance.
5) I bought two packets of plain puff pastry and of the French variety, because you never know.
6) I noticed that the next door Big Lots! store was closing in two days. 😦
7) Everything was 80% off. I bought all sorts of fizzy water drinks, carbonated and not, and coconut-water bottles. I purchased three cans and over 40 bottles for just $19.
8) So everything ended well. I was able to make three nice, big Australian meat pies for the natives.
9) All in all my quest was not quite the epic told in the Illiad, but it wasn’t far away from it either.
– Paul De Lancey, The Comic Chef, Ph.D.
My cookbook, Following Good Food Around the World, with its 180 wonderful recipes, my newest novel, Do Lutheran Hunks Eat Mushrooms, a hilarious apocalyptic thriller, and all my other books, are available on amazon.com.