SIMPLE OBLEA SANDWICH
2 oblea wafers or other 6″ wafers
3 tablespoons each of one or more of the following fillings:
caramel sauce (If you can get the authentic Colombian caramel sauce, arequipe, go for it.)
Serves 1. Takes 3 minutes.
The top wafer shows the filling in the sandwich.
Spread 3 tablespoons of fillings over first oblea. Put second oblea on top of fillings..
1) Obleas is the plural form of oblea. Oblea is a Spanish word.
2) The English language is also rich with plural nouns.
3) Popular plural nouns of the English language include: women, ants, hamburgers, and doors.
4) So you can see that English speakers needn’t feel inferior to their Spanish counterparts on this linguistic matter.
5) According to culinary linguists, the word “oblea” has a rich and fabricated history.
6) For in mid 1968, the BeatlesTM traveled to India seeking enlightenment. They did not find it.
7) Disappointed, The Fab Four traveled to Colombia seeking solace in a simple, yet tasty dessert.
8) They found it in the form of Juan Cabrera’s simple oblea sandwich.
9) Such a fabulous dessert was worthy of a song, and soon the gifted Beatles came up with “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.”
Paul De Lancey, The Comic Chef, Ph.D
My cookbook, Following Good Food Around the World, with its 180 wonderful recipes, my newest novel, Do Lutheran Hunks Eat Mushrooms, a hilarious apocalyptic thriller, and all my other books, are available on amazon.com.