BAKED MAPLE-COVERED DOUGHNUTS
1 cup pastry flour or regular flour if not available
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup confectionary sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons maple syrup
doughnut mold, or tray, for 6 doughnuts
PREPARATION – DOUGHNUT
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium mixing bowl until all ingredients appear to be well mixed. Add milk, eggs, and vegetable oil to another medium bowl. Blend with whisk until mixture starts to get foamy. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and blend with whisk until all is combined.
Spray doughnut mold with no-stick spray. Scoop combined mixture into each dough form until half full. Put in oven and bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Doughnuts should be done when they spring back when gently poked.
Remove doughnut mold from oven. Let sit for about 3 to 4 minutes. Gently pry doughnuts from mold with knife or small wooden spatula and put on plate.
PREPARATION – MAPLE GLAZE
Combine confectionary sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.. Use blend setting on electric beater to mix these ingredients. Use ladle or large spoon to pour glaze over the doughnuts. Use spoon to smooth the glaze on the doughnuts. Cool doughnuts in refrigerator until glaze sets.
Eat your share before your family or friends do.
1) Canada’s new $50 and $100 bills smell like maple syrup. Way cool.
2) It’s part of the bills’ anti-counterfeiting measures.
3) The maple leaf symbolizes Canada and appears on the Canadian flag.
4) Swedish meatballs smell great and symbolize that nordic nation.
5) It would be great if Swedish currency smelled like that.
6) I like the idea of baking money.
7) “Patty cake, patty cake, baker man, bake me a bill as soon as you can.”
– Paul De Lancey, The Comic Chef
My cookbook, Following Good Food Around the World, with its 180 wonderful recipes, my newest novel, Do Lutheran Hunks Eat Mushrooms, a hilarious apocalyptic thriller, and all my other books, are available on amazon.com.