200 years ago my great, great, great, great grandfather, Napoleon I, lost the battle of Waterloo. In doing so, he lost control of Europe, his position as emperor of France, and my birthright to rule France and intimidate the rest of the world. Bummer. But it’s fun to speculate what I would do if I were emperor. Let’s go! I’d:
1) Ban lutefisk. How how did we allowed this atrocity to go unchecked?
2) Abolish all Federal income taxes.
3) Impose imperial income taxes. We’re an empire now, remember?
4) Coffee trucks will cruise by the millions around all neighborhoods in the morning. This will increase productivity to an amazing extent, heralding in a new era of prosperity.
5) The Cubs will win the World Series. Imperial decree seems to be the only way to bring this about. Besides, Cub fans have suffered a lot.
6) Grade inflation will stop in schools. Teachers will get paid more. Bacon & Chocolate will be part of school lunches.
7) It will be illegal to advertise any story or post on the internet with, “You won’t believe” or “what happens next will shock you.
8) Twizzlers will become the world’s currency.
9) Tacos will be free everywhere on my birthday.
10) Computers will no longer freeze.
11) Spammers will be charged a penny for every person they spam. This will eliminate the need for income taxes. Yay!
12) People who don’t signal before they turn will spontaneously combust.
13) Air travel will be fun. Okay this last one is a stretch.
– Paul R. De Lancey, Emperor of the World
My cookbook, Following Good Food Around the World, with its 180 wonderful recipes, my newest novel, Do Lutheran Hunks Eat Mushrooms, a hilarious apocalyptic thriller, and all my other books, are available on amazon.com.