INGREDIENTS – CRUST
¾ cup butter (another 6 tablespoons later)
1½ cups flour (another 1 cup later)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (another ¼ cup later)
¼ teaspoon salt
INGREDIENTS – FILLING
5 Granny Smith or green apples
3 tablespoons cornstarch
⅓ cup sugar (another ¼ cup later)
½ cup water
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup heavy cream
INGREDIENTS – TOPPING
1 cup flour
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
9″ pie plate
PREPARATION – CRUST
Melt ¾ cup butter. Add 1½ cups flour, brown sugar, ¾ cup melted butter, and salt to large mixing bowl. Mix with hands until well blended and mixture becomes a big ball. Press mixture into pie plate.
PREPARATION – FILLING
Peel and dice apples. Add cornstarch, ⅓ cup sugar, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg to mixing bowl. Stir with whisk until smooth. Add mixture to saucepan. Bring to boil using medium-high heat. Cook for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir constantly. Remove mixture from heat. Add apples and vanilla extract. Stir with whisk. Pour filling into crust. Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
PREPARATION – TOPPING
Add 1 cup flour, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar, and 6 tablespoons butter to mixing bowl. Mix with whisk until well blended. Crumble topping mixture over filling. Bake at 360 degrees for 40-to-50 minutes or until topping turns golden brown.
1) The Spanish Inquisition sentenced the entire Dutch population to death in 1568. Tough love, you bet.
2) Or maybe the Spanish Inquisition was just really, really tough on scofflaws.
3) The Dutch give free heroin three time a day to addicts.
4) Contrast the Dutch government’s attitude to heroin addicts versus that of the Spanish Inquisition to the entire Dutch population. The Dutch policy actually resulted in lower rates of heroin addiction while the Spanish policy resulted in a bloody 80-year war with the Dutch
5) If life gives you heroin, make …
6) No, that slogan doesn’t work.
7) If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
8) If life gives you rotten lemons, make rotten lemonade.
9) If life gives you lemons, keep them, well, because they’re free.
10) If life gives your proctologist lemons, reschedule your appointment.
11) If life is dyslexic, it will give you melons.
12) If life gives you lemons, 4 chicken breasts, 1 teaspoon salt, 1¼ cups plain yogurt, ½ onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon cayenne, ½ teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon paprika, and 1 small tomato, make Chicken Tandoori.
13) If life give you Le Mans, go to the race there.
14) If life give you Lenin, emigrate.
15) If life gives you Lennon, “Let It Be.”
16) Bees like lemon blossoms.
17) So life gives us all critters lemons. It’s not just a humano, new word, centric thing.
- Chef Paul
My cookbook, Eat Me: 169 Fun Recipes From All Over the World, and novels are available in paperpack or Kindle on amazon.com
As an e-book on Nook
or on my website-where you can get a signed copy at: www.lordsoffun.com