1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter
2 cups pecan halves
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Makes 23 squares. It should make more but the family keeps nibbling before I can get them all wrapped in waxed-paper squares. (The squares, not the family. Goodness sake, you didn’t think you were going to get an exciting admission, did you?)
Add all ingredients to large pot. Cook on medium heat until temperature of syrup reaches 234-to-240 degrees or until a drop of syrup forms a soft ball that can be flattened when dropped in cold water. Watch carefully and stir constantly.
As soon as syrup is ready, use large spoon to quickly and carefully drop syrup onto cookie sheet. Try to make praline patties about 2″ across and ½” high. (Be careful, hot praline syrup will burn like molten lava if it gets on you.) Let syrup cool. While dessert cools, cut waxed paper into 6″ squares. Wrap each praline patty in waxed-paper squares. Tie at top with rubber band.
Makes a great gift. Great for yourself as well.
1) Pecans help a man’s sex life. Pecans have a lot of zinc. Zinc helps men produce more testostone.
2) Chocolates make women feel slightly more romantic.
3) Chocolate-covered pecans make for a night of whoopie.
4) The pecan tree is the state tree of Texas. There are a lot of Texans. Need I say more?
– Paul De Lancey, The Comic Chef
My cookbook, Following Good Food Around the World, with its 180 wonderful recipes, my newest novel, Do Lutheran Hunks Eat Mushrooms, a hilarious apocalyptic thriller, and all my other books, are available on amazon.com.