BAJAN MACARONI PIE
1 pound macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon banana ketchup
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (1/4 cup more later)
2 tablespoons Bajan seasoning
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 tablespoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
8″ casserole dish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil water in large pot on high heat. Put macaroni in pot. Boil macaroni for about 12 minutes or until tender Drain macaroni in colander.
While macaroni is boiling, dice onions. Put butter and onions in now empty pot. Sauté at medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add banana ketchup, mayonnaise, milk, yellow mustard, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, Bajan seasoning, paprika, parsley, pepper, and egg. Mix with hands. (Pretend you are throttling the people who make hated software upgrades.)
Put mixture in casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until top starts to turn brown.
1) You should serve Burgundy alongside the macaroni you serve to your guests. Serving any other wine would be gauche.
2) When the ancient Egyptians entombed their dead they sometimes gave their departed ones cheese for their journey in the afterworld.
3) The first written recipe for mac and cheese comes from thirteenth-century Italy. It used fermented cheese. Hurray!
4) The box recipe for macaroni and cheese appeared in 1802. One year later, Napoleon crowned himself Emperor of France. He would plunge Europe into war after war for most of the next twelve years. Coincidence? Perhaps.
5) The phrase “Big Cheese” originally referred to people wealthy enough to purchase a whole wheel of cheese.
6) Kraft debuted its boxed mac and cheese in 1937. The Great Depression ends two years later.
7) In 1993, Crayola came out with the color, “macaroni and cheese.” We’ve had no global wars since then.
– Paul De Lancey, The Comic Chef
My cookbook, Following Good Food Around the World, with its 180 wonderful recipes, my newest novel, Do Lutheran Hunks Eat Mushrooms, a hilarious apocalyptic thriller, and all my other books, are available on amazon.com.