1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
7.5 ounces black beans, or 1/2 of 15 ounce can
7.5 ounces refried beans, or 1/2 of 15 ounce can
1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
2 teaspoons cilantro flakes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon Vegetable MagicTM spice
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 dried chives
2 eggs (6 eggs total for the recipe, two here and four below)
1 tablespoon butter
4 eggs (6 eggs total for the recipe, four here and two below)
1/4 cup salsa
4 corn tortillas
1/4 cup Cotija cheese
1/2 cup grated four Mexican cheeses
1 green onion
Dice onion. Put enough oil in first sauce pan to cover bottom. Add onion. Cook onions until soft or translucent. Add diced tomatoes, black beans, refried beans, green chiles, cilantro flakes, chili powder, cumin, vegetable spice, white pepper, coriander, chives, and eggs. Stir occasionally or enough to prevent burning on the bottom.
Heat this sauce on medium-high heat. Add two eggs once sauce bubbles. Stir and cook until eggs are done.
Melt butter in second sauce pan on medium-high heat. Turn heat down to medium and add eggs. (Note breaking eggs makes the eggs cook faster. This is important if you have allergies to runny yolks.) Spread salsa on top and fry until eggs are done to your liking. (Fried eggs done this way are great.)
Microwave 4 corn tortillas for about a minute. Mix cheeses together. Dice the green onion.
Spread a layer of the sauce on the bottom of a plate. Put a corn tortilla on top of that. Next comes a fried egg. Sprinkle cheese mixture and green onions on top. Ondole.
1) The English word for tortilla is tortilla.
2) The Spanish word for people is pueblo.
3) Spanish-speaking people have a word for everything.
4) Donde esta las juanetas? is Spanish for “Where are the bunions?”
5) Onions are healthy for your diet and provide great texture. Not so much for bunions.
6) There was a burger place around Oklahoma City that had wooden rabbits outside. They made all their burgers with onions. My friend and I called it “Bunny Onion.”
6) I don’t know if bunnies like onions. Certainly, onion bunnies would not be as popular on Easter as chocolate ones.
– Paul De Lancey, The Comic Chef
My cookbook, Following Good Food Around the World, with its 180 wonderful recipes, my newest novel, Do Lutheran Hunks Eat Mushrooms, a hilarious apocalyptic thriller, and all my other books, are available on amazon.com.